Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kyrie's First Lost Tooth


Several weeks ago, Kyrie discovered her first loose tooth. She was very excited and maybe a little bit nervous. We talked about how the tooth would keep getting looser until she decided to pull it. At first, she was pretty excited about wiggling her tooth everyday, but then grew bored with lack of any real progress and left it alone.
Over the next few weeks, she would occasionally complain about some pain when she ate and we would remind her that wiggling her tooth and pulling it would relieve the uncomfortableness. Last week, the tooth started to get really loose. The space all around the tooth increased as the tooth grew loose in its socket. I kept checking the tooth and telling her that it would soon be ready to pull.

Kyrie's little lost tooth.
On Thursday afternoon, she told me that she felt something sharp on the tooth and I saw that the bottom of the tooth had pulled free of the gum and it's sharp edge was the problem. I told her that it was time for the tooth to come out and with one small tug I pulled it free from the gum. For one moment, she looked slightly shocked, but then she was all smiles and proud.
She was very happy to see that little tooth and I found a special pouch she could put it in to keep it safe for the Tooth Fairy. I also put in a little note from me to the Tooth Fairy asking her to leave me the tooth as a keepsake (I have always had a special 'box' to keep her first tooth). I told her to put the tooth upstairs under her pillow or somewhere safe. She said that she wanted to keep it with her, so I firmly told her that she should not take it out of the pouch because she could easily lose it and then the Tooth Fairy wouldn't come. With assurances tossed over her shoulder she went off. Within a half hour, she would be in tears because she lost the tooth when she took it out to play with it. She looked and I looked, but we couldn't find it. She was upset (and I was a little upset, too), but in typical Kyrie fashion she was over it quickly.
.

 The Tooth Fairy did not come to our house on Thursday. Yes, I am that awful mother. However, I felt like I had given her ample warning of what could happen if she took the tooth out of the pouch and what would happen if she lost the tooth. We are trying our best to reinforce the idea that our choices have consequences, and this was simply one lesson in a thousand on the subject. I was sad that we missed this first, but she has more teeth to lose and hopefully next time she will be more careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment