Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, November 25, 2011

Crafty Kyrie: An American Girl


A few weeks ago, I stopped by our local Michael's craft store with Kyrie in tow (she was on her way to choir practice) and in the clearance section she found some American Girl doll stickers. The stickers were 50% off, but still $1 apiece, which seemed a little pricey for a single sticker, but she loved them and I let her choose one (and then secretly chose a few more to surprise her with later). Now my first concern about this $1 sticker (being the thrifty momma that I am) was exactly what she was going to do with it. Still, in the clearance section I spotted a small scrapbooking kit with paper and a few embellishments and picked it up thinking she could make a crafty picture page 'showcasing' her sticker.



 After choir practice and back at home, she begged to make her picture. I got out several pieces of craft paper and opened the scrapbook kit. I laid out several papers for her to choose from and talked to her about layering different sizes & colors of paper to make a picture. I offered a few suggestions and watched as she made her choices and finally placed her sticker at the center. Her first picture looked really great, especially at the hands for a five year old who is not always known for her neatness (she would sooner scribble on every page in a coloring book than take the time to color in the lines on one page). She was very proud and ran off to show Darren! Of course, she wanted to do another.


Thankfully, I had those extra stickers and told her that if she had a good day the next day she could do another. I repurposed a scrapbook so that she could have a place to keep & showcase her pages.
And so it began... almost every day Kyrie asks to do her American Girl craft. When she misbehaves, we warn her that she will lose the chance to make one (and this threat is often met with howls of protest). I have returned to Michael's twice and bought one of every AG clearance sticker they have- I am plotting my options for when we run out of the clearance stickers because I cannot bring myself to pay $2 for a single, full-priced one. At the completion of each new page, Kyrie asks me to take a picture of her new creation, and here is (almost) the entire collection:

Kit: Kyrie's first AG craft page







No comments:

Post a Comment