Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, November 25, 2011

It's Potty Time!


I have spent pretty much no time potty training Degen. We have a potty seat and he's worn some Pull-Ups (only because they were cheaper) and he's even sat on the potty a few times, but he's never seemed that interested and so I decided to delay potty training until age 3. I am so bad that there have been times when he's said he needs to go potty, and I have convinced him otherwise (in my defense, the first 100 times he told me I did put him on the potty only to have him giggle, do nothing and then run off to play).


However, last weekend Degen came downstairs completely naked and told us he went pee-pee. I ran upstairs and checked the floors and the beds and didn't find a puddle, so I put him back in his clothes and went about the day. Neither Darren nor I gave the incident another thought until that evening when Kyrie hollered from the bathroom that Degen was going potty by himself. What?!?! We raced to the bathroom to see our naked, baby boy perched on the toilet and going pee! Woo-hoo! We all cheered and clapped and Kyrie gave him big hugs and carried him around like the town hero.

First thing the next day he went potty when I asked if he needed to go. So, we went to the store and I let him pick out 3 packages of his favorite character underwear. He chose: Thomas, Mickey Mouse & Diego. At home he was happy to try them on, but screamed bloody murder when he peed the first pair a short time later. With assurances that all was well, he put on another pair. He has had a few accidents and if he wants to wear a diaper then I let him. I did the high-pressure potty boot camp with Kyrie and would like to avoid that situation again if at all possible. He's doing well and we're taking it easy... the joys of being a second kid! I was pretty much convinced he'd be in diapers well into age 3 so this has been a welcome & happy surprise! Go, Degen!

No comments:

Post a Comment