Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Saturday, April 16, 2011

One Flew Into Our Cuckoo's Nest


Last week, I heard a thump against one of the windows and immediately knew that a bird had crash landed on our doorstep. I went out to see what had happened and found a little brown bird on its back, dazed. I picked the poor thing up because we have a hunter prowling about. I held the bird cupped in my hands and stroked its smooth feathers. It opened its eye and blinked, but didn't struggle or try to get away. It sounds cheesy, but I think it knew that I was just trying to help. I figured that it needed more time (and hoped that it hadn't caused itself any internal damage).

I held it for several more minutes and then it seemed to perk up a bit, though it still didn't try to fly away. Kyrie came around and I let her gently pet it. A little while later, I was able to coax it from the palm of my hand to perch on one of my fingers. It seemed content to just sit there like that.

It started to get late, and once I knew that it would be okay, I gently encouraged it to leave its perch. It was hesitant to do so, but eventually flew a very short distance to rest in one of our planters. We went inside, but I kept peeking out the window and after several minutes it flew away. It was a pretty amazing experience for all of us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment