Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fishing for Fun

Trying to keep cool, I had trouble keeping the kids clothed this week.
 We are in the middle of our Summer Fun & Oceans unit. I really like this unit because we have a lot of really fun activities to do, including some fun edible treats. During this unit we will enjoy lots of ice cream treats, as well as sea-related tasties. Earlier this week, I made a batch of "deep sea" jello (blue jello with shark/fish gummies) that the kids gobbled up. We also made tuna fish sandwiches for dinner one night.

 Tuna salad is not a dish that the kids would normally enjoy eating, but they had a good time preparing it. I chopped celery, pickles and hard-boiled eggs that the kids put into the bowl. Kyrie added spoonfuls of pickle relish and mayonnaise. She showed off her chef skills and stirred everything together. I loved how they worked together to make dinner!

 I found a plan for a fish-shaped sandwich that was made using a circle- & heart-shaped cookie cutter, which I had planned to use for this activity. Then I found Pepperidge Farm Goldfish bread at the store (and lucky me, I had a coupon!). The bread is thin and soft with a slightly sweet flavor- a perfect sandwich bread for kids! As soon as Kyrie saw this bread she was excited, and even more so when I let her put her own sandwich together.

Luckily, my kids are not terribly picky-eaters, but I have seen several articles that suggest that you allow picky (or skeptical) eaters to help prepare their food in a way to encourage them to try the foods they wouldn't normally eat. I was a little surprised that this suggestion actually worked! In the past, both kids would have protested and/or refused to eat tuna fish sandwiches, but this time they ate them right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment