Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Monday, June 27, 2011

Photo Albums

In case you haven't noticed, I have figured out how to post my Shutterfly projects on the blog. I use about three photo sites, but have to admit that Shutterfly is my favorite. They can be a little pricier, but I think they have quality products (and they also have great promotions).  I find their site easy to use and generally like their editing features with my one complaint being that you cannot make exposure adjustments (eg. brightness, contrast, etc.) with their editing tools. Now that I post so many photos on the blog, I usually fix those kinds of things prior to downloading them to a photo site, so it's not as big of an issue as it once was.
As you can see, I have created five Shutterfly albums, and I really love them (and so do the kids). They look absolutely professional, and I know that they will be treasured archives for our family. In college and just after, I did a lot of Creative Memories scrapbooking. I have a handful of those albums, which took a lot more time to create, but they definitely have a more personal touch. After creating these books on-line, I question whether or not I will ever get back into the CM-type of scrapbooking (although I do have a lot of supplies in Rubbermaid in the basement).
I have to share that I do keep a bit of the old scrapbooking concept going with calendars for both kids. It started out with the 'first year' calendar I completed when Kyrie was a baby. I loved jotting down all the things she was doing and adding new pictures each month. So, when the first year was over I got a 'second year' calendar, and when I finished that... well, they don't make 'third year' calendars (at least not that I could find). So, I made a calendar of my own and the next year, I found out that you could buy blank, 'scrapbooking' calendars. These are even more fun because I can add several photos and seasonal stickers to each month. I continue to jot down all the kids' daily activities (I completed first & second year calendars for Degen, too, and now keep a scrapbooking calendar for him), as well as achievements, occasions, new skills, illnesses and funny anectdotes, though I admit that I am not nearly as precise in the details as I was when Kyrie was a newborn.
I have talked about these calendars with Darren, wondering when I will stop making them. He told me that he rather likes the idea of someday being able to give our children a literal account of their childhood days. Can you imagine being able to look up almost any day during your childhood to find out exactly what you were doing? It is kind of cool! I want to be able to give that kind of gift to my kids. I just got a catalog in the mail last week, and I plan to place my order for two 2012 calendars and more stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment