Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Giant Donuts

 In honor of National Donut Day, the kids & I made giant donuts. It was pure luck that we found a giant donut pan on clearance while wandering Bed, Bath & Beyond the same day. Kyrie was super-excited at the prospect of having giant donuts in the house, especially the part where she could decorate one.
The pan came with a 'recipe,' but it was basically just a cake mix. Instead, I looked up a baked donut recipe on allrecipes.com and found something that sounded pretty good. Baked donuts are not nearly as good as fried donuts, but they are a lot healthier. The resulting donuts would best be described as a medium-density spice cake. It was not overly sweet and did seem more like a donut than a cake.
I frosted our 2 donuts (the donut pan comes with 2 pieces so you could make a double-layer donut cake) with chocolate icing and let both kids add sprinkles. We each had a piece of donut after dinner that evening. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I love it, I love it, I love it! How fun is this?! And how did I not know about this very special holiday?! :)

    ReplyDelete