Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thomas the Cake Engine

Oh my goodness! Tis birthday season again at our house, which begins with Degen's lone February birthday and ends in a flurry of the rest of our birthdays all in the first week of April. But, let me focus on the birthday at-hand: my darling, baby boy's birthday is tomorrow!

(Not quite done. I had to do the face & nose twice.)
Though his birthday party will be next week, I want his actual birthday to be a special day, too! And since he loves Thomas the Tank Engine so very much, I thought that there would be few things more special to him than a Thomas cake! So, I set about building and decorating one for him this morning. The cake came together relatively easy and the decorating went well. Though it could be neater, would have been neater if I would have prepared my own frosting (because of the consistency), which I have simply gotten too busy to do since I had kids, it is one of my favorites!

As I was putting the finishing touches on the cake, Degen came into the kitchen and excitedly started pointing and calling out, "Choo-choo, Choo-choo!" He even tried to climb up the drawers to get to it! For today, he had to be content with a dob of blue frosting on his finger and assurances that Thomas would be coming back for his birthday. I can't wait to see his reaction tomorrow when he can finally dig into his Thomas the Cake Engine! Oh, the joy! Oh, my boy! (Oh, the mess that's on its way!)


I used one of Degen's Thomas engines to try getting the colors and features just right. I didn't make myself crazy with the details, but tried my best to get the major elements.


My mess from today!


No comments:

Post a Comment