Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 18, 2009

*This is the note/journal entry I posted two days after I had Degen. The details of that February morning two years ago remain just as clear in my mind, forever etched on my heart.

Degen Richard Aurelius was born via c-section at 12:48 p.m. on Wednesday, February 18, 2009. He weighed 8 pounds 7 ounces and measured 19 1/2 inches long.



Wednesday, Kyrie awoke around 3 a.m. and I couldn't get back to sleep after I got her back in bed. So, I puttered around on the computer for a bit before heading back to bed around 6:00. At 7:45, I woke up with cramps and figured it was just more G.I. issues. I swung my legs out of bed to get to the bathroom and my water broke. I called to Darren that my water broke (his reply, "are you sure?"). Thankfully, he had not yet left for work, so we went about trying to figure out what we were going to do next. Darren talked to work and parents, while I called my OB and Robin (from playgroup) to come pick up Kyrie (whom I put in the bath right after my water broke to keep her occupied). The OB's office returned my call and urged me to get to the hospital right away, but... we had stuff to do.

Eventually, we all got dressed and organized. With hugs and kisses, Kyrie was off for a fun day with Robin and her friend, Isabelle. Finally, around 9:00, Darren and I headed to the hospital. We arrived and were in triage by 9:15. I was having contractions the entire time, but was able to keep moving and getting things done. In triage, my contractions kept coming and became more regular. It was a busy day in labor & delivery, but I was scheduled for an OR around noon.

My OB arrived, and we headed to the OR a little after 12:00. I received a spinal block at 12:25. After a lot of cutting and a bit of pushing (on my OB's part), Degen arrived in the world with a cry at 12:48. I immediately started crying, too. He was healthy, if not a little grumpy, upon arrival! He has blue eyes and brown hair. He nursed right when we got to the post-op recovery room. He was taken to the nursery for monitoring, while I was monitored in the recovery room. We were taken to our maternity room around 3:00, and, finally, got our baby boy back in our arms a little after 5:00 (by this point, I was exhausted, sore and an emotional wreck having not seen my newborn son in several hours). Our family was complete when Kyrie arrived around 6:00! She loves to hold her baby brother!

Our first night was a little rough because Darren had to be at home with Kyrie rather than the hospital with me. I got very little sleep because of all the monitoring by the staff & nurses. I was up and moving around for the first time at 10:15 that night... in pain, but doing well. Since then, I have been trying my best to get up and around as much as possible. I was in quite a bit of pain throughout the day on Thursday, but feel much better today (Friday). Thankfully, Darren was able to stay with us in the hospital last night. Degen is a wondeful baby so far! He loves to cuddle and spends lots of time sleeping. He nurses really well, too!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment