Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Saturday, August 16, 2014

We Be Jammin'


Well, really 'Jellyin,' but you get the idea. My second year doing jelly. Our berry bushes are not producing much this year, but the grocery store had a super deal on blueberries, so I decided to make some blueberry jelly.


I love my food mill for jelly prep! I put it on top of a large measuring cup so that I can keep track of how much juice I have for recipes. 


The juice goes in the pot with sugar & pectin to cook.

I am lucky to have several canning books at this point. I had trouble finding a jelly recipe specific to blueberries (though there were several for mixed berries). I found one recipe for blueberry jelly that asked for liquid pectin, which I hadn't used before. So, I bought a box of liquid pectin to use. It seems okay, though I feel like it is a softer set than what I typically like to have for my jellies. In the same book, I found a split recipe using blueberries (syrup & butter). Since I used my juice for the jelly, I saved the pulp to make the butter. 



Blueberry Jelly

I have made several batches of apple butter, which I love. I put all my apple leftovers in a crock-pot and leave it to cook down for about a day. Though the recipe that I used didn't tell you to cook it in a crock-pot, I did anyway and it turned out beautifully! For those of you who might not know, fruit butters use fruit pulp and cook/set without the aid of pectin. Being able to use the crock-pot makes the process super-easy, and I love that it uses up all the leftovers that would normally end up in the compost heap. I hope that I can do more fruit butters in the future. 

Blueberry Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment