Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, August 15, 2014

Homeschool: Summer Fun & Games

Degen building a Lego watermelon.

I guess I am not really surprised that I forgot to take a picture of our books from this unit. Sigh... in the last few weeks of summer, we have been busy with camps, friends and the end of our summer activities. Well, trust that we read some good ones and had fun talking about summer weather, safety, treats, activities and games. Of course, this is a fun & laid back unit all about the fun we have been having all summer long. 

Degen's unit folder.



Kyrie's unit folder.

The kids had lots of glyphs to work on this unit, two of which we used to decorate their unit folders. Creating glyphs involves passing along information with visual clues. I like using glyph activities with the kids because it gives them a chance to provide information about themselves, follow directions and be creative. I have 3 glyph books that I use for thematic units. 

Degen working on reading numbers.


This was our food-craft for this unit, which I found on Pinterest. I already had all the ingredients in our cupboards and started the kids out with counting cookies and red M&Ms. This was super-easy to put together and delicous!


When working with almond bark, I like to melt it in one measuring cup and then boil water in a larger measuring cup and place the smaller into the larger to keep the almond bark melted while I dip. 

Our assembly line was me dipping cookies, Degen placing M&Ms and Kyrie spooning sprinkles.



If we are talking about summer fun, we are definitely talking about swimming! Though it has been a cool summer, we have made it to the pool a handful of times. We have the most fun when we get to join our friends to swim! I am happy to see Kyrie jumping in the deep end (though not far from the ledge) and Degen (finally) trusting the lifejacket as he paddles around the lazy river!


Degen with his "sand" castle!
I have tried to give the kids extra time to play with their friends before everyone goes back to school. I love looking out the window and seeing all these kiddos playing in the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment