Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Colors of Love

I was pretty excited for our Valentine's Day project this year. I first saw the idea on Pinterest (and when I was a kid my mother would sometimes helps us melt down scrap crayons in mini-pie tins). After going through the kids' craft items and finding an overabundance of crayons, I knew it would be perfect. All I needed was a heart-shaped muffin pan.

The hardest part of this project was peeling all the paper off the crayons. Next I worked with Kyrie to sort the crayons by color. We did this in part as a learning activity for Kyrie, but also to ensure that each of our crayons got a little of each color. Then I chopped all the crayons up and had both kids scoop a little of each into the muffin cups. It took about 15 minutes (at 250 degrees) for the crayons to melt and just about as long for them to set in the winter-cold garage.


The kids really enjoyed making the crayons and loved all the colorful hearts that popped out of the muffin cups. The next part of the project, I helped Kyrie make a coloring sheet to go with the crayons. I doubt that most of our Valentine recipients spend a lot of time coloring, but it was my hope that they might get caught up in the whimsy of the moment and have a little fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment