Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kyrie's SK8 Cake


So, when I was trying to figure out what cake to make for Kyrie's birthday party, I thought a lot about making a cake that looked like roller skates. I knew that it was something that could run into problems, so I decided against it as a party cake, but thought the challenge might be fun for our family cake. 

When I baked the pieces for Kyrie's party cake, I also baked 8 mini-cupcakes and two mini-loaves. I used those and 3 of the leftover square cupcakes to put together the skates. I admit that I rushed through this process a bit. If I made this cake again or did it for other people, I would be sure to put a piece of cake under each loaf and between the 2 sets of mini-cupcakes to provide more stability as I did have some issues with the mini-cupcake wheels getting crushed during the process. So, basically, I used icing and a toothpick to put the mini-cupcakes together to make the wheels. I then put the mini-loaves on top of the 'wheels' and topped that with a square cupcake (round would probably work well, too). I also used icing and a toothpick to attach the 'brake' to the front, which was just 1/4 of a square cupcake (a mini-cupcake could be used instead). This design (minus the 'brake') could also easily be decorated to look like a train engine... or take off the wheels and you have a hiking boot or high tops, there's a few possibilities. 

As I said, I did rush the icing/decorating on this a little bit, so just sorta close one eye when you look at it, and it will look a little better... ha! Rush or no rush, Kyrie was really happy with how this cake turned out and that smile is what makes it all worth it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment