Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Monday, March 31, 2014

Kyrie's Lego Birthday Cake


The theme for Kyrie's birthday party this year was Lego Friends. We had the party at the skating rink, so there was some debate about what kind of cake I should make. I considered roller skates and a t-shirt before deciding on something Lego. So, once that was decided I had to figure out just what kind of Lego cake to do. I did a search on Pinterest and found a ton of ideas, which were helpful, though not exactly what I had in mind. Eventually, I decided that I would do individual Lego blocks in a shape, deciding on the number 8. 

I bought a square (brownie) bake pan and a pack of gel colors that looked a lot like the Lego Friends color scheme. I used one chocolate and one yellow cake mix, which made 24 square cupcakes, plus some extra. Each cupcake was split and filled with strawberry filling. I prepared a double-batch of icing, and it was very close to gone after I did the 20 cupcakes. 

(Note: We have a little friend who has a dairy allergy. Most Duncan Hines cake mixes are dairy-free. Then I make a traditional Wilton icing using shortening & water.) 

This cake was time consuming because I basically made 20 miniature cakes that all were filled and iced separately, then placed on the cake board. One sorta-smart thing that I did was color-code the cakes: pink & yellow frosted cakes were vanilla and blue & purple frosted cakes were chocolate. This made serving cake at the party a little easier. Overall, the cake turned out very well and mostly matched the vision I had in my head. 

Prepping the cupcakes for decorating (as with most cakes) involved de-capping them to create a flat surface. The leftover "caps" were perfect for miniature whoopie pies. I added a small dam of icing and a spoonful of strawberry filling to each: a nice pre- or post-party treat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment