Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Luck

I will admit that I am a tad superstitious. I won't go into the myriad of things I do to keep us on track for good fortune (or away from misfortune), but one superstition attributed to tradition is our New Year's day dinner of black-eyed peas. This culinary tradition was handed down to me by my mother through her Southern roots. They have been traced back to the post-Civil War South wont with devastation and in need of luck.

Each element of this meal holds its own meaning:
Black-Eyed Peas = Wealth (the peas represent coins)
Tomatoes = Health & Wealth
Greens = Paper Money
Cornbread = Gold

Every New Year's Day we eat humbly of this meal with thankful hearts for all that we have been granted and in humbled petition that good fortune will find us in the year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment