Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, August 13, 2010

Lesson Plans


As autumn and back-to-school approaches, my mind turns to school. Many of Kyrie's friends will start or increase their time in preschool this year. We don't take a lengthy break from lessons here, but continue with our thematic units throughout the summer.
These days it seems like I'm always lesson planning. The thematic units I do with Kyrie last approximately a week, so I start collecting materials and writing down plans for the next unit on "Wednesday." This is something that I really enjoy. It speaks to my organizational nature and the petite list-maker perched on my shoulder- I don't need an angel & devil, just a little list-maker to keep track of everything.
I've been doing some sort of 'lessons' with Kyrie since she was about a year old. In the beginning, we read stories, sang songs and did finger plays. Then I added art projects. Next was basic worksheets. Each year I have grown my lesson plans to include more & more activities and more & more weeks of units. I now have 30 thematic units, ranging from Mother Goose to weather & seasons. I spend about 3 hours every week in preparation for the (almost) daily lessons. Each day, we spend about 2 hours reading, playing games, working with flash cards, making crafts, and practicing with worksheets. Kyrie also has several educational games on her computer that she plays independently. It is great to see Degen sitting at the computer to play, too!

Kyrie painting a birdhouse to end our Birds & Bats unit.

This has been a very exciting year because I can really see the progress that Kyrie has made. Our main focus this year has been the alphabet (handwriting & phonics) and counting. Kyrie is doing a great job! We have finished learning almost all of the "down letters" (Ii, H, E, F, Ll) and now we are starting the curves. Counting is coming along a bit more slowly, but she understands the one-to-one ratio and I'm pleased with her effort (math was never my strength either).
I think that the most difficult thing with home education is keeping your expectations reasonable. There have been times when I've gotten frustrated with Kyrie's lack of interest and/or effort in a task. I am trying my best to set aside my sometimes over-passionate emotions as a parent so that I can focus on providing Kyrie with the educational support that she needs (ie. though I want her to be ready to do something, she may not be ready academically). Balancing expectations is not always easy, but I am grateful that I'm providing Kyrie with the one-on-one attention that allows us to work together at a pace that best fits her educational needs.
 The finished project, complete with little birds. 
(She was very disappointed that real birds couldn't live inside it because it was too small.)

Though I will proceed with academic objectives on par for kindergarten students through the next year, we have decided that we will not register Kyrie with our school district until age 6 (2012). When she begins school, she will be almost a year older than her peers, but we think that this decision will ultimately be advantageous for her.
This fall, we will continue swim lessons and dance lessons at the rec center and rejoin story times at the library. We are grateful that we'll still be able to see our friends for play dates once a week.
Degen's 'beginner' art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment