Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Homeschool15: Transportation & Space

Kyrie's unit folder, a space scene.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I lost a couple files of photos recently. However, I was able to replace the pics I took of their school work for this unit. 

Kyrie spent this unit concentrating on the study of space with some in-depth articles about Mars. Not surprisingly, she chose to write about Mars for her unit writing project. 

Degen's unit folder.

I have started letting Kyrie choose the topics for her writing projects within the framework of our unit studies. She chose to write an opinion piece about the 'best' planet. Her choice: Mars.

Origami rocket ship by Kyrie

Kyrie's country study during this unit was about Kenya. We made African peanut bread  as part of this country study.



Degen studied transportation and space during this unit. I am really seeing progress in his phonics studies. We keep building and building on all of his pre-reading skills, and I am confident that he will be reading by the end of the year. (Hindsight is 20/20: I was way more stressed about Kyrie learning to read, and pushed her way more than I am pushing Degen. I know that he will get it slow & steady!)


Part of Degen's space study is understanding Earth's place in the solar system, specifically the 'relationship' of the Earth with the Sun. 

A fun part of our letter studies is when Degen gets to make a picture using the letter.


I have been really happy to see Degen progress using activities like this where he has to figure out the order of letters to create words. 




I like this journal entry where Degen drew a picture of part of the solar system.

No comments:

Post a Comment