Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Homeschool: Books! And the Arts

Degen's drawing of the Cat in the Hat

We had a great unit reading some of our favorite books, learning about famous authors and exploring aspects of the arts. We brushed up on some reading concepts while we talked about how authors & artists practice & work hard to be creative.

Kyrie's unit folder.

We were excited to start the Book It! program this month. Both kids setting reading goals and are keeping track of their reading to earn free pizza at Pizza Hut. I participated in this program when I was in elementary school, and I am excited that my kids get to participate, too.

Degen's unit folder

I am increasing Kyrie's writing practice to include a writing project each unit. This was in the plans for the start of our new school year, but I decided to jumpstart it this fall. Each unit, she will complete a writing project starting with a graphic organizer and ending with a typed paragraph. 

One of Kyrie's journal entries for this unit. 

I thought Degen's reading/writing practice for this unit was so cute. On the right, I asked him to draw a picture of someone who can sing, so he drew (and labeled) a picture of himself saying, 'I can sing!' Cute!

Kyrie with her completed writing project. She wrote an opinion piece about her favorite book. She really enjoyed this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment