Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, June 27, 2014

Homeschool: Forests & Mountains


We had fabulous timing on our Forests & Mountains unit this year. This unit also covers bears & camping, and we hosted Kyrie's Girl Scout troop for a backyard campout the weekend after we finished this unit. I will post some pics from that in another post. This is a fun unit and one (of many) that I have been adding to since I first started lessons when Kyrie was just a toddler. In the beginning, this unit was about bears and then about bears & camping. Now it is really a unit about the forest & mountain habitats. We have just a few more units left in our habitat study that we started in the spring. 


Degen increases his vocabulary using flash cards to learn the names of common forest/mountain animals.

Degen using counting bears to practice addition.

Degen's unit folder. 

Kyrie's unit folder.


I always let Kyrie choose her own book for bedtime read-aloud, and during this unit she happened to choose this book, which tied in quite nicely with what we were learning about bears and the forests. Kyrie really enjoys the American Girl doll books for read-aloud, and I enjoy that she is learning about history and positive values. We have tried to collect as many of these books as possible, but this particular book was actually a copy that my grandparents had sent to me as a birthday gift when I was a little girl (back then there were only 3 dolls). My little homemade book label is still inside the front cover- aw! 


No comments:

Post a Comment