Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, February 26, 2010

In the Shower

So, I decided to jump in the shower this morning before Degen's doctor's appointment. Degen was a little fussy (it's been a rough couple of weeks what with teething & a nasty virus), but I thought he'd be okay with a little bit of television and lots of toys & books. Of course, that lasted for as long as it took me to get into the shower. He made his way into the bathroom and calmed down when he heard me. He was content enough to pull at the shower curtain and babble.
Kyrie wandered into the bathroom as I was lathering up my hair, and said "I could babysit him for you so you can have some time to yourself." I immediately thought that it could end badly, but hate to encourage her from a) offering to help others and b) showing a positive interest in spending time with her little brother. So, I told her that she should show him his books & toys and I would be out soon. As she picked him up and carried him out of the bathroom, he started crying, of course. I heard her tell him, "Degen, you just need to stop being so interested in your momma." His crying intensified and as soon as she put him down, he made his way back into the bathroom and now he was furious.
No longer would he be content babbling on the outside of the shower curtain. He tugged and pulled at the curtain and his cries became howls of "momma, momma, momma." He was able to pull back the curtain to see me and water misted around him. I tried to soothe him with gentle talk and wet kisses, but an injustice had been done and he refused to be placated. He moved his way closer to me until the mist from the shower soaked his hair and upper body all the while crying "momma." I gave up on the idea of shaving my legs and hurried to finish washing my hair and body. Wrapped in a towel, I could finally pick him up and his cries slowed, and he played at drawing out his "mommas" so that bubbles would form between his lips. The whole scenario was further drawn out by the fact that I would not actually be able to go out in just a towel.
Later at the pediatrician's office, I would hear many comments about what a happy baby I had. Yes, as long as I don't try to take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment