Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tooth Trouble



Well, you just never know what's going to happen when you've got kids. One Saturday evening, Kyrie came running into the house crying... which really isn't all that unusual. She ran straight to me and sobbed that she had fallen on the slide and chipped her tooth. I hugged her to me and was prepared to tell her that I, too, have chipped a tooth and it wasn't a big deal...and then she looked at me...and I saw that nearly half of her (permanent) front tooth was gone. Quickly, I hugged her to me again and looked to Darren who was across the room. "It's bad," I silently mouthed over Kyrie's head. I directed her into his arms and got a wet washcloth to wipe off her face and inspect the damage.
She started to calm down, and I called our pediatric dentist's cell phone (for emergencies). He asked if the tooth was bleeding. Though we saw a bit of pink at the highest point of the break, thankfully, the tooth was not bleeding and our tooth crisis was deemed a non-emergency. We went out to find the broken piece (we could not) and I left a message to set up an appointment to have the tooth repaired.
At the end of the week, she had the tooth repaired. The dentist added tooth-colored material to the bottom of the broken tooth and added detail to make it appear real. The tooth will always be fragile and will require a veneer when Kyrie is older. The dentist did a really good job. As her mom, I can definitely tell that her smile is different because the tooth looks different, but I do not think most people would even recognize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment