Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Darren's Bourbon & Cola Cake


Darren is not a real dessert person, but he does have a few things that he likes. I wanted to make him a special birthday cake this year that he would really enjoy. I saw a few ideas for cakes on Pinterest. One was a cake made with Coca-Cola and another was a Jack Daniel's cake. Darren likes chocolate cake and his favorite drink is bourbon & Coke, so the wheels in my head were turning. As you know, I rarely can just follow a recipe. My mind is always working out how I can make something taste better or be prepared more easily. In this case, I also needed to figure out how to "combine" these two recipes. I went to the cupboard and pulled out a chocolate cake mix (easy). This particular mix had a fudge swirl, so I prepared the cake mix as directed substituting cola for the water in the mix and bourbon for the water in the fudge swirl. I put it in the pan and topped it with Oreo cookie crumbs simply because I had them on-hand and Darren likes Oreos. I am not really sure that there was much cola flavor in the cake, but it was a good chocolate cake and you could smell the bourbon in the fudge swirl, so I felt like I was on the right track.
For the icing, I made a chocolate buttercream, but subsituted bourbon for the water. It was hard for me to tell if it was good or not because I have a very limited appreciation for alcohol. I took a beater out to Darren who said it was great and that it reminded him of a European chocolate liqueur. I had not told him what I was planning until that moment, and he was excited to hear it! Darren, my dad & I had cake late into the night on Darren's birthday, and both boys raved about it! Hooray! Happy Birthday, Darren! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment