Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Friday, January 13, 2012

Cherry Bread



I have always enjoyed cooking, though it has often been more of a job than a beloved pasttime. As we have gotten busier, I have found that I really find a lot of relaxation & comfort during the time I spend in the kitchen. My days were once filled with diapers and naptimes, neverending childcare and an endless rotation of chores, of which preparing dinner often bacame. Now, the kids are better able to amuse themselves and help out around the house. We are running around town much of the week going to & from activities. More than ever I appreciate the times when we are at home and lingering in the kitchen preparing the perfect dish has become more joy than chore. It is the little things! Cooking comes very naturally to me, and I find that preparing ingredients, measuring, mixing, seasoning and working in the kitchen is often right where I want to be. And lets, be honest... I like to eat, too. I keep seeing a quote on-line that says, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Every time I see that quote, I think, "Oh, you poor things! If you think that's true then you are just not eating right!"
A few weeks ago, I got into my head that I wanted to find a recipe for cherry bread. Bob Evans restaurants offer a cherry bread seasonally that is amazing! I love it, and wanted to see if I could replicate the recipe at home. I looked on-line and found a few recipes for cherry bread and picked the one I wanted to try. I made a few additions to the original recipe, including adding a marachino-sugar glaze, and it turned out delicious! The flavor was spot-on! Howver, if you have had any of Bob Evans' bread you know that they are extremely moist and really more cake-like than bread-like. I was very careful not to overbake my loaf in hopes of getting that super-moist bread and it still didn't happen, which has me thinking that their bread recipe really is more of a cake recipe than a bread recipe. I may end up heading back to the kitchen to test this hypothesis if I can find a good cherry cake recipe.
I will go ahead and share the cherry bread recipe in case anyone would like to give it a try. If you are a fan of cherries and/or fruited breads then you will enjoy it.

1 c Sugar
1 c Milk
4 t Baking Powder
2 Eggs, beaten
1 t salt
2 c + 1 c all-purpose flour
2 T butter, melted
1/2 t almond extract
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 16-oz jar Maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (if making sugar glaze, reserve liquid)
1/2 c almonds, finely chopped (optional)

Optional glaze:
1 c sugar
1/3 c maraschino cherry liquid

In a mixing bowl: Add the sugar to the eggs and beat well. Alternating, mix in the 2 cups of sifted flour and milk.

In small bowl: Combine the 1 cup sifted flour, baking powder, and salt; Stir into batter.

Add cherries, extracts, nuts and melted butter. Mix well. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in a 350 oven for approx. 1 hour or when tops are golden and firm.

Remove from pans to cool. If adding glaze: while bread is still warm, poke the top several times with toothpick or fork. Mix sugar & liquid for glaze and then pour over the top. (I do this using a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. I will let the glaze set and then add more from the drippings on the baking sheet.)






No comments:

Post a Comment