Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gypsy Rose Leigh (1995-2011)


Last week our old girl, Gypsy Rose grew restless. She began to mew from her home in the laundry room, and I let her out to enjoy the late-autumn sunshine. I was surprised at her burst of energy and started keeping her fenced in the kitchenette. Then I noticed that she wasn't eating. She also seemed unsteady on her feet, unable to find her balance. I called the vet's office and set an appointment for the afternoon.
Before the appointment, I wrapped Gypsy in a towel and held her. I put her in a patch of sunlight before settling her into a basket for the car ride to the vet. The car ride was quiet, and Gypsy barely moved.
I was immediately grateful for our veterinarian and vet tech who were gentle with both Gypsy and with me. The vet tech spoke softly to my sweet kitten and pet her the entire exam. The vet confirmed what I already knew, that Gypsy was ready pass. They took her from the room to prep her while I talked to Kyrie (through tears) about what was happening. She was sad, but understanding.
They took us back to her and we said our goodbyes. Kyrie gave her pets, and I nuzzled her sweet face and told her that I loved her. And then she was gone.
Everyone in the office had kind words as we left. Then they brought her out to us so that we could take her home and bury her. It was a sad afternoon, but I was grateful that I had shared so many happy years with Gypsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment