Beach

Beach
Los Angeles, CA 2015

Monday, May 16, 2011

Cute & Curly

We are preparing for Kyrie's first dance recital with the Columbus DanceArts Academy this weekend. A few weeks ago, we had parent observation week. The girls got their costumes and we parents got a packet of papers outlining the instructions & guidelines for the recital. With pens in hand, moms took notes about the tights we needed and procedure for dropping off & picking up our daughters. We were also instructed on buying tickets, t-shirts, DVDs & photos and where to find instruction sheets for their hair & make-up. All the girls in Kyrie's class are supposed to have "high, curly ponytails."


A few months ago, Kyrie had requested some curls in her hair and I pulled out the curling iron. Amazingly, I couldn't get a single curl to set in her hair. With knowledge of that experience, I knew that I would need to find another way to curl her hair and the Academy suggested foam rollers. I scheduled Kyrie to get her recital photos at our regular portrait studio and figured it would be an excellent opportunity for me to do a trial run with the curlers (and the make-up).


 Her hair was super-easy to set after bathtime. Just a bit of gel and some hair spray. The next morning she had sweet, golden curls that actually looked pretty natural with her short 'do. I worked it into a half ponytail (as discussed with her teacher) with no bangs and set about doing her make-up.
 I don't have any issue with Kyrie wearing make-up. Every so often she will request some lipstick or mascara and I oblige. She doesn't seem to think it's a very big deal, and I tend to prefer that she keep that perspective. Now recital make-up is stage make-up, and I went out and got Kyrie her own set of everything. I got a lot of stuff that I don't even normally wear (like eyeliner and blush). I really considered this my practice session and figured out what worked and what didn't. Kyrie did great with almost everything except for the eyeliner on her lower lid, which I understand. Letting someone come at your eye with a sharpened pencil is a little unsettling. It didn't turn out the way I liked, and I think I will skip it for the recital. (Surprisingly, the other day Kyrie requested some eyeliner.)


 Kyrie looked very different in her stage make-up. She got some compliments when we went to lunch after her photo session. People loved her curly hair and her super-duper long eyelashes (which require no mascara). I find myself drawn to look at these made-up photos again & again. It's my little girl, but looking so much older. My mind keeps trying to reconcile this flash forward image to my everyday, little girl. Darren finds the photos a bit unsettling, he finds his mind unwilling to accept this grown up vision of his baby girl. Me, I just find them interesting. If I imagine Kyrie heading off to prom or walking down the aisle, is this the face I see?

No comments:

Post a Comment